[License-discuss] 3-clause BSD and reverse engineering

Johnny A. Solbu johnny at solbu.net
Sat Jan 17 16:17:36 UTC 2015

On Friday 16. January 2015 13.44, Zluty Sysel wrote:
> I was wondering if adding a clause to prevent reverse engineering to the
> standard 3-clause BSD license would violate any of the open source
> definition tenets.
>
> The additional clause would read something like this:
>
> "Reverse engineering, decompilation, and/or disassembly of software
> provided in binary form under this license is prohibited."

See section 3 of the Open Source Definition: http://opensource.org/osd
===
"3. Derived Works
The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software."
===
My understanding is that your additional clause would violate that definition, and no longer qualify as Open Source.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site,   http://www.solbu.net