[License-discuss] License-discuss Digest, Vol 40, Issue 7

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Feb 16 15:18:45 UTC 2015

Savva Kerdemelidis scripsit:

> I'm not sure there's grounds to distinguish the endorsement clause and
> disclaimer clause in this way. The wording of the BSD License says "1.
> Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
> list of conditions and the following disclaimer"

Well, precisely.  The parts of the license are three: notice, conditions,
disclaimer.  If the disclaimer were a condition, it would not be
mentioned (twice!) separately from the conditions.

If this argument doesn't convince you, I can only point to the
unanimous practice of many large corporations who include BSD-licensed
code into their proprietary software, and then offer warranties on
that software.  If it's good enough for them, it should probably
be good enough for you.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
A mosquito cried out in his pain,
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"
The cause of his sorrow / Was para-dichloro-
Diphenyltrichloroethane.                                (aka DDT)