[License-discuss] Shortest copyleft licence

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Thu Apr 2 15:21:26 UTC 2015

On 4/1/15, 5:44 PM, "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

>Quoting David Woolley (forums at david-woolley.me.uk):
>
>> It means he may think that the licence is preventing the sort of
>> commercial exploitation he doesn't like, but the commercial
>> exploiter will ignore the words he is relying on and instead exploit
>> based on their attempt to re-interpet the letter of the formal
>> licence.
>
>Nigel should and can speak for himself, but I suspect preventing
>twisty people from imagining they've found subverting dodges,
>believed defensible in court, is simply outside the scope of what any
>'human language' licence summary can or should reasonably aim to
>achieve.

Like locks I treat the CC-BY-NC-SA marking as an indicator for honest
folks or folks that can be deterred with a vague threat of possible legal
action.

Do I believe that marking pictures of my kid playing soccer CC-BY-NC-SA
prevents them from being used on billboard in Asia if someone there was so
inclined?  No.

It will possibly deter the local sporting goods store from just grabbing
it off Facebook and using in a flyer and that¹s good enough.  Especially
since my pics are nothing particularly special.  Mostly I mark them so
that the pictures of any other kids that might be in the pic are not used
without their parent¹s permission in some kind of commercial derivative
work.