[License-discuss] Why CAVO Recommends GPLv3

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Nov 17 13:56:10 UTC 2014

On 14/11/14 19:55, Tzeng, Nigel H. wrote:
> In our case the majority of the software being evaluated for open
> sourcing is framework and utility functions that we believe would
> provide value to our community.  We wish to insure that this framework
> remains open source and commonly used but that all entities involved
> (including us) are free to make proprietary plugins to extend the
> functionality.  Whether GPL V3 with a plugin exception or LGPL or MPL is
> the right answer remains to be seen.

Surely putting proprietary bits onto a voting platform defeats the
entire point?

You may disagree on strategy with Larry, of course. But if one is
convinced that voting software needs to be open source as a fundamental
matter of transparency for the voters, then there's no need to choose a
license which permits the addition of proprietary bits. In fact, it's an
anti-goal.

Gerv