[License-discuss] You need to pay to access AGPL3 scripts?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Jun 11 20:55:35 UTC 2014

On 10/06/14 22:26, Kuno Woudt wrote:

> I assume FullContentRSS has the copyright on their own software, and can
> license it as they want.  Including selling it to you under AGPLv3,
> while not offering a download themselves for their users.

I find it difficult to work out why someone would use the AGPL unless
there was an upstream AGPL constraint or the wanted the software to be
free of charge to users of their service.

The only thought I had was that it was to put competitors at a
disadvantage, as they would have to provide free source, but that
doesn't really hold water.

As far as I can see, for someone who didn't want to maximise
availability of the code and wasn't under an AGPL constraint from
upstream it would be better to use the plain GPL.