[License-discuss] <some FLOSS license> + commercial: Your thoughts?

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Wed Sep 25 08:33:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Alec Taylor <alec.taylor6 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am building a set of generalised libraries and frameworks.
>
> Would like to open-source it all; however in the cases where a client
> wants their custom stuff under a non open-source license; I should have
> provisions for such a case.

I usually just do two things:

1.  License the code to the client under their choice of GPL or BSD
licenses, and

2.  Privately agree (in a formal contract or otherwise) not to merge the
changes made in their current form back into the main software.

If they want to sell it they can, but under the BSD license, they can't
sublicense (unlike the MIT license) so they'd have to have someone make
some change they could license on their own or they can come to an
agreement with me for revenue.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers