[License-discuss] Started discussion with Figaro re their license.

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Sep 19 23:38:02 UTC 2013

Karl Fogel scripsit:

> Just in case anyone else noticed this:
>
>   https://www.cra.com/commercial-solutions/probabilistic-modeling-services.asp
>
> They want to be open source, and almost are, but they're using a custom
> license based on 3-clause BSD with an extra clause -- clause (4) --
> that IMHO is problematic.  I've attached the license to this mail.

I don't think it is.  Clauses 1 and 2 (as usual for BSD) require that the
license itself be preserved by downstream distributors.  That license
already includes the pointer required by clause 4 -- in the text of
clause 4 itself.  So clause 4 is self-satisfying taken in conjunction
with clauses 1 and 2.

All good.

/me snickers.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the