[License-discuss] Rejected license list [was Re: TrueCrypt license (not OSI-approved; seeking history, context).]

Donald Robertson, III donald at fsf.org
Thu Oct 17 19:10:06 UTC 2013

On 10/15/2013 04:42 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> This is completely different from the FSF process. The FSF takes
> existing published licenses and rates them for conformity with the
> Four Freedoms (and also for GPL compatibility). They do this without
> waiting for submissions. Consequently, it makes sense for them to list
> both conforming and non-conforming licenses.\

At least in my experience at the FSF, we only review published licenses
because we receive requests from the community or the drafters
themselves to review those particular licenses. When someone asks us for
input while still in the drafting process, we work with them but don't
add them to our license list until after that process is complete.

--
Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Copyright & Licensing Associate