[License-discuss] Another "crayon" license

Engel Nyst engel.nyst at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 23:02:52 UTC 2013

Hello license-discuss,

On 11/08/2013 10:26 PM, Gregor Pintar wrote:
> What do you think about this "crayon" license?

It reads to me like an ultra-permissive license, almost a public domain
dedication in the form of a license. Personally, I find it an
interesting license.

It has a copyright notice, but it does not require keeping it. This is
unexpected (for me); I'm not sure why it asserts copyright. It also
states it allows to "relicence".

Is it really intended to allow a full replacement/removal of license
text and removal of copyright notice? It will have that effect...

No-Warranty. The statement is much simpler than for MIT, BSD, ISC,
Unlicense, CC0, CC-BY. Personally, I'd suggest not "crayon"-ing that
paragraph. I'd think you don't want it to fail.

Just my two cents. And two more... If I met it in the wild, I would
treat this license like a MIT license for software, and similar for
content. The text reads okay to me, and it seems more permissive than
MIT/ISC. But I'm not sure it was indeed intended ultra-permissive (the
licensor might have assumed the (c) notice has to stay!). Regardless,
I'd treat it anyway like MIT...