[License-discuss] Is Web application including GPL libraries covered under GPL?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun May 12 13:19:03 UTC 2013

MURAKAMI, Keiko wrote:

> When we deliver our application just as Web application, by using but not

If you deliver the actual application, then all the licences apply.

If you only deliver a service, many licences don't impose restrictions,
however, you should carefully read all the licenses and consult a lawyer
if there is any doubt.

(Some recent licences have taken the position that this is a loophole
and have tried to close it.)

> distributing the libraries, should we distribute it under GPL?
> Should we be ready to show the complete source code to any user?

That would be respecting the spirit of open source, but may not always
be legally necessary if the user never receives a copy of even the
binary version of the code.

> The application is not static linked.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask, but I appreciate your
> help.

The right place to ask is your lawyer's office!

--
David Woolley