[License-discuss] public domain recognition

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 3 16:24:46 UTC 2013

Quoting David Woolley (forums at david-woolley.me.uk):

> There are no international conventions on public domain, so a public
> domain declaration in one country may not have any effect in
> another, whereas a copyright one would.

[...]

> You would be much better advised to use a short licence that gave
> permission to do almost anything under your copyright rights.

He says he knows all that and doesn't care, but then asks our advice in
how best to implement something most folks around here consider unwise
and at best inferior (in long-term and worldwide effects) to what can be
done with a short permissive licence.

As we've seen, some folks just want to declare things public domain by
fiat whether it actually works (as a matter of legal effect) or not,
because they think even a one-line permissive licence (two lines with
warranty disclaimer) is too onerous.  Personally, my inclination is to
wish them the very best of luck and leave it at that.