[License-discuss] FAQ entry for slight variations in licenses?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Mar 8 03:44:20 UTC 2013

Richard Fontana wrote:
> One missile: The idea that you would need a lawyer, competent or
> otherwise, to be involved in such review, though personally appealing
> from a guild-aggrandizement standpoint, seems highly dubious, and
> probably sends the wrong message.

Dear Richard, my fellow guild-member:

As people who would be personally aggrandized by people consulting us
("competent or otherwise"), we should declare that it is really foolish to
entrust your copyrighted works to amateur legal efforts. Would you complain
about the guild-aggrandizement of those who would remove your gall bladder?
Would you entrust your health and your welfare to your fellow engineers?

Bruce Perens reminded us earlier that amateur license drafting efforts
caused a whole lot of grief for Jacobsen, and our community spent a lot of
(mostly donated) legal fees making sure that that license was honored
despite its amateurishness. It took an appeal to the CAFC to rescue our open
source licensing paradigm. Let's not encourage the same mistakes in future
licenses.

As for the expense and nuisance of lawyers reviewing "trivial" modification
in licenses, that's an education problem that OSI could address. Especially
valuable would be them teaching people about the foolishness of having
hundreds of variants on the BSD and MIT licenses that do almost nothing
legally or practically different under copyright than the original licenses.

/Larry