[License-discuss] further license presentation improvements? (inc. call for help)

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Fri Mar 8 03:41:45 UTC 2013

I have now deleted (actually hidden in most cases) almost all of the
comments identified by Engel and Gerv, and started a few more
discussions about FAQ entries. Thanks so much to both of them for
helping out.

Per Karl's last email, it looks like the next step is to edit every
license page to add a link to the FAQ. Since someone will be doing
that anyway, I'd like to suggest a slightly more involved task -
enhancing the license pages by linking to background information about
the licenses.

In particular, putting these two links (if they exist) into every
license entry seems like it would be useful/informative:

1)  A canonical informational page for the license. So, for example,
http://mozilla.org/MPL/ (which links to FAQs, etc.) not the plain text
at http:/mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/index.txt.

2) The archived OSI discussion about acceptance of the license,
starting with the official license submission. For example, for MPL,
this would be: http://projects.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review/2011-December/000005.html

Before folks dive in, though:

1) Does anyone object to this?
2) Are there any additional pieces of information we could provide?

Luis