[License-discuss] License compatibility - reg

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Jun 27 00:13:27 UTC 2013

Rick Moen scripsit:

> (There are exceptional situations such as cases covered by the Statute
> of Frauds.  If you want to endure a really boring one-hour lecture, ask
> a legal expert to explain that for you.  If that's not enough masochism
> for one day, follow up with a request for something about the Rule
> against Perpetuities.)

    They fed in the last of the punched data, warmed the computer up
    from `Idle' to `Run,' and kicked him into it. Mose's eyes blinked
    in hard meditation; his stomach rumbled softly; his memories
    began to hiss and stutter. Powell and the others waited with
    mounting suspense. Abruptly, Mose hiccupped. A soft bell began
    to "Ping-Ping-Ping-Ping-Ping-Ping---" and Mose's type began to
    flail the virgin tape under it.

    "IF IT PLEASE THE COURT," Mose said, "WITH PLEADERING OF NON
    VULTS AND DEMURERS, LEGAL SIGNATURES. SS. LEADING CASE HAY
    v. COHOES AND THE RULE IN SHELLEY'S CASE. URP."

    "What the---" Powell looked at Beck. "He gets kittenish," Beck
    explained. "At a time like this!" "Happens now and then. We'll
    try him again." They filled the computer's ear again, held the
    warmup for a good five minutes and then kicked him into it.

        --Alfred Bester, _The Demolished Man_

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
O beautiful for patriot's dream that sees beyond the years