[License-discuss] Idea for time-dependent license, need comments

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Jul 20 19:31:05 UTC 2013

Re: Joint and collective works

This comparison between collective and joint works has frequently been the
topic of conversation at OSI. I remember, for example, some of us arguing
that the Linux license could be changed from GPLv2 to GPLv3 by any of its
"joint authors", and that IETF standards could be licensed as "joint works"
so that any of its authors could create derivative industry standards.

It is a nice idea in principle, but it falls flat in practice. Courts
usually require more than just a claim of joint authorship. They demand a
contract, or at least some obvious manifestation of intent, to create a
joint work. Lots of these court cases deal with rock bands that broke up.
:-)

I am aware of no FOSS project -- particularly any that uses a contributor
agreement or membership agreement -- that would survive a court test for
joint authorship.

On the other hand, what the world is left with is a collection of collective
works, stuck like a pincushion with tiny open source licenses on each
component. Anyone who wants a copy of the pincushion gets every individual
pin that's attached to it. A "joint work" concept might be better for FOSS
if it could be implemented by joint, contractual agreement. But it isn't.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482
Office: 707-485-1242