[License-discuss] Idea for time-dependent license, need comments

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Jul 20 14:57:02 UTC 2013

Mike Milinkovich scripsit:

> Well, I think that many would argue that such a work is a collective,
> rather than a joint work. In fact, it seems to me that most of the
> large collaborative communities are running under that assumption.

A collective work is defined as "a work, such as a periodical issue,
anthology, or encyclopedia, in which a number of contributions,
constituting separate and independent works in themselves, are assembled
into a collective whole."  Now maybe you could claim that an individual
file constitutes a separate and independent work.  But a patch?
I doubt it.

John Cowan        http://ccil.org/~cowan   cowan at ccil.org
Lope de Vega: "It wonders me I can speak at all.  Some caitiff rogue
did rudely yerk me on the knob, wherefrom my wits yet wander."
An Englishman: "Ay, belike a filchman to the nab'll leave you
crank for a spell." --Harry Turtledove, Ruled Britannia