[License-discuss] Changes made by derivative works

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Thu Jan 31 16:50:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Prashant Shah <pshah.mumbai at gmail.com> wrote:
> I get your point. Although there is nothing wrong with it and it works
> when the modifications are significant. Its just hard to maintain it
> in source files where there are lots of minor modifications. (eg :
> linux kernel)

1) In the context that the original license is used it's not used
within the project.  The Apache Software Foundation requires
Contributor License Agreement and as such does not have to comply with
this license clause in the operation of the project.  So even if you
go looking through the source files at the ASF you won't find a list
of who modified a file in each file.  In fact many ASF projects
actually have a policy discouraging people from adding their names to
specific files, to avoid creating the feeling that a specific file
belongs to someone and that other shouldn't work on it.

2) If you changed a file once before you don't have to add another
modification notice.  The requirement is not to keep a changelog, but
to mark that the file has been modified by you.

I really don't see how that's hard to maintain.