[License-discuss] [FAQ] Is <some PHP program> Open Source?

Ben Reser ben at reser.org
Fri Jan 25 19:51:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> If the OSI wants to start referring (especially in an FAQ presumably
> meant to be generally helpful rather than merely marketing material) to
> the term "open source" as specifically requiring OSI license approval,
> regardless of capitalization, it should:
>
> 1. acquire a trademark for the term "open source"

I doubt that's feasible.

> 2. add a stipulation to the Open Source Definition that requires the OSI
> to approve a license before it is an Open Source License

I don't think that's feasible either.  However...

When you're using the OSI's trademarks you're only supposed to use
"Open Source" to reference things licensed under OSI Approved licenses
per the OSI's trademark guidelines:
"the use of the term "Open Source" is used solely in reference to
software distributed under OSI Approved Licenses." [1]

I think it would be wrong to use "Open Source" differently on OSI's
website than how it is requiring people using it's trademarks to use
it.

[1] http://opensource.org/trademark-guidelines