[License-discuss] Published revised opensource.org/licenses page

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Jan 3 22:18:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Engel Nyst <engel.nyst at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello license-discuss,
>>
>> Thank you for the work and patience on this. IMHO the new page looks
>> more useful than it used to be.
>>
>> Cosmetic point: two of the licenses have explicit version, while the
>> others don't. Is this intended?
>
> Somewhat intended: the unversioned licenses have either (1) only one
> version in wide use (e.g., CDDL)

To be clear here, I mean CDDL 1.1's "wide use" in comparison to other
versions of CDDL. CDDL's popularity (or lack thereof outside of
Sun/Oracle-sponsored projects) is obviously problematic for the
current categorization system, as I acknowledged in my blog post (
http://tieguy.org/blog/2013/01/03/a-revised-osi-open-source-licenses-page/
).

Luis