[License-discuss] Changes made by derivative works

Prashant Shah pshah.mumbai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 05:48:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I didn't mention this previously but Apache license has a clause if
the work is submitted back to inclusion it has to be under the same
license.

"Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by
You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this
License, without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding
the above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any
separate license agreement you may have executed with Licensor
regarding such Contributions."

If the distributor of the modified Works chooses a different license
for his modifications then it is his/new license responsibility to
take care of the book keeping clause.

> Resulting in the need to know if someone has modified the file for copyright purposes.

Sorry I didnt quite understand this point.

I feel quite lost now :( but learnt a lot of new things also in this process :)

Coming back to the original question that I had. I can now put it in a
much better way...

It is the responsibility of who is accepting/distributing
modifications to keep track of from whom he is accepting code - either
by using a version control system or in the file itself or a
changelog. As far as the license of the code is concerned - it already
in the same license as original because of the above point.

Only issue remains is tracking the copyright owners - Does it make
sense to enforce such a book-keeing clause in a license or rather
leave it at the discretion of distributor of the Work to take the
necessary steps to keep track of the copyright owners to protect
himself.

"You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
that You changed the files"

Regards.