[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Aug 23 23:15:01 UTC 2013

Folks:

I offer the following assertions about the Transitive Grace Period Public
Licence (TGPPL) [1, 2].

* TGPPL is a Free Software and Open Source licence. (As I've argued: [3, 4].)

* It is not redundant with any existing Free+Open licence. (As I've argued:
  [5, 2].)

* It is not like the practice that Aladdin Software had of releasing older
  versions under a Free+Open licence. (As I've argued: [5].)

* It is currently in active use [6].

I hereby make the following requests:

* Help me think of problems or issues with this licence that I'm not already
  aware of.

* Help me improve the licence for future revisions.

* Register TGPPL in the lists of Open Source Licences [7] and Free Software
  Licences [8].

* Consider incorporating "The Transitive Grace Period idea" into future Free
  and Open licences such as future revisions of GPL or copyleft-next. (Although
  according to Bradley Kuhn's and Richard Fontana's recent letters, that may be
  off-topic for this list.)

You may be interested in the fact that my startup has just announced our first
commercial product, which is the (Free and Open) Tahoe-LAFS software:

https://leastauthority.com/blog/category/press-releases.html

You may also be interested in this related conversation, about the importance
of software distribution and licensing, among other things, in today's world of
ubiquitous surveillance:

https://leastauthority.com/blog/open_letter_silent_circle.html

http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2013-August/005095.html

Regards,