[License-discuss] Unlicense CC0 and patents

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 19 18:27:48 UTC 2013

Quoting Prashant Shah (pshah.mumbai at gmail.com):

> Hi,

'Lo.

> http://unlicense.org/
> http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode
>
> What is the difference between CC0 and unlicense ?

CCO contains a well-drafted fallback to permissive terms in the
event that its primary intent runs afoul of local law (as is a serious
problem with such efforts), while Unlicense is a badly drafted crayon
licence, apparently thrown together by software engineers imagining they
can handwave away the worldwide copyright regime by grabbing a bit of
wording from here, a bit from there, throwing the result out in public,
and hoping for the best.

My initial comments on Unlicense:
http://projects.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review/2012-January/000026.html

I never bothered getting to patent complications.

--
Cheers,                          My daughter is invited to a samba party. I was
Rick Moen                        excited, thought it was a sysadmin party.