[License-discuss] Open source license chooser choosealicense.com launched.

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Aug 17 13:49:48 UTC 2013

Bradley M. Kuhn scripsit:

> Richard Fontana pointed out in his OSCON talk that license choosers
> generally make political statements about views of licenses.  He used
> the GitHub chooser as an example, which subtly pushes people toward
> permissive licenses.

Surely he jests.  Choosealicense.com *blatantly* pushes people toward
the MIT license.

I don't believe, however, that my chooser <http://ccil.org/~cowan/floss>
has any such biases.  Certainly I myself have no skin in the
permissive/GPL game, though I am against non-GPL non-permissive licenses
because they create islands in the overall software commons.  The GPL
commons, like Australia, is too big to be called an island.

--
Principles.  You can't say A is         John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
made of B or vice versa.  All mass      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan