[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 16 22:02:17 UTC 2013

Eben Moglen wrote:
> This isn't a matter for copyright licensing, because licenses are, in J.L.
Austin's term,
> "performative utterances."  They are present acts of permission, not
declarations of
> future intention, like testaments. There's no point in a copyright holder
writing a
> license that says "these are the terms today, and those will be my terms
tomorrow."

Hi Eben,

J.L. Austin described performative utterances of the form "I now pronounce
you man and wife," used in the course of a marriage ceremony. Such
statements are neither true nor false (not "truth-evaluable"). [1] But I
don't understand the relevance of this concept to an "Open Source
Eventually" license.

In the more traditional legal analysis, regardless of the wisdom of such a
license, we prefer to treat written promises relating to future actions as
binding upon the person making the offer -- at least where there is some
form of consideration paid for the promise. A commercial software license
that predates that eventually-FOSS license definitely includes sufficient
consideration to enforce that promise. It isn't a mere unenforceable
utterance.

It is always better to get that FOSS promise now, in writing.

/Larry

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performative_utterance