[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 16 00:05:23 UTC 2013

Quoting fred trotter (fred.trotter at gmail.com):

> The mandate for this list is "facilitate constructive discussion of open
> source licensing and further the goals of the OSI."
> Your argument is that this list only exists to determine whether a given
> license meets the definition of Open Source, and then only discuss it if it
> meets that definition. You are ignoring the "further the goals" part of the
> purpose of this list.

As a point of clarification, evaulation of licences proposed for OSI
Certified status got moved to separate mailing list license-review when
that forum was established a couple of years back.  This forum has been
allowed to be more free-form.

> I am asking this mailing list for help crafting a proprietary license. It
> is certainly ironic but not at all off-topic.

Speaking for myself (and I am only a friendly hanger-on to OSI), I have
no problem with you asking.  However, I doubt OSI has relevant expertise,
and would not be surprised if OSI Board members both have other
priorities and are wary of involvement in proprietary software licensing.

--
Cheers,                                           "I love stateless systems."
Rick Moen                                         "Don't they have drawbacks?"