[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Thu Aug 15 13:54:38 UTC 2013

It is difficult to sustain a major release cycle of 6 months and have any significantly new capabilities at each release cycle.  Easier at the beginning as you're ramping up but once you have a mature product it strikes me as incremental.  The low hanging fruit has been built, new capabilities will require more baking.  Your time expectations seem out of whack.  Id's 5 year cycle seems much more representative.

In any case, unless the cost is trivial I'd likely just wait 9 months and stay one rev back for free which is Mr Moglen's point.  And you better be giving me a stable version X.0.1 with bug fixes for free whatever else you do.

You make the sale to me because you have a time release and your close competitors don't. All else being more or less equal I'll buy your product because I like the concept. Not because I'm going to sign up to pay for what your competitors give me for free.  I bought pixelmator a while back for $40 back on rev 1.4 or something.  They're at rev 2.2 four years later and I still get free updates via the app store.  That's what I expect from a software product these days.

With regards to a FOSS drug database the software itself strikes me as mostly straightforward.  It's the data that is of great value.  You could easily open source the software and sell a subscription to database updates.