[License-discuss] plain text license versions?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 7 06:12:47 UTC 2012

Quoting Ben Reser (ben at reser.org):

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > Very sad.  So, the barrio occupant in question might need to check out a
> > book with the licence text.  Life's imperfect.
>
> How exactly would you find said book?

Card catalogue?  Help from a librarian?

This covnersation is one of those where the other person keeps saying
'Well, what about people who {can't do that|live in the Kalahari Desert|etc}?'
I'm not that devoted to wasting time, so I'm bowing out now.

> For that matter is it not also a violation of the technology neutral
> clause of the open source definition?

No.  Read it.

> How do you know that you've found the correct license text from a
> search engine.

Indeed, Moriarty the Master Criminal might have put decoy pages up!
Let's call Interpol.

> This whole line of thinking just seems contrary to the Open Source
> Definition in my opinion.

As we say in California, thank you for sharing.