[License-discuss] plain text license versions?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Sep 6 19:14:35 UTC 2012

Karl Fogel wrote:
> Many coders expect to find plaintext license terms in a LICENSE or
> COPYING file, directly in the source tree.

I'd count that as another reason *not* to provide plain text license files. I think it would be FAR more useful to have a simple license statement in the source tree of each program that points to the OFFICIAL version of that license on the OSI website. This also avoids the duplication of text -- with potential transcription or legal errors -- in many source code trees, and completely avoids the need to actually read the licenses if one trusts OSI.

Doesn't CC do that, in a way, with their license logos?

/Larry