[License-discuss] License Stewards

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 5 22:09:45 UTC 2012

Quoting Kuno Woudt (kuno at frob.nl):

> Considering this in an international context, it still seems better
> to explicitly license the license text.  Is there any harm in doing
> so?

{shrug}  'Harm' is whatever the observer doesn't like, nei?  ;->

As with all licensing, the licence is a tool aimed at some particular
effect that the licensor is aiming to achieve.  Licensors who want to
permit particular types of derivative works will probably[1] grant the
right to do so, with or without OSI (or my, or your) urging.  Licensors
who are unwilling -- and my recollection is that many are unwilling --
won't.

[1] Or maybe not.  Couldn't hurt to remind drafters of new licences
of the possibility, I guess.