[License-discuss] License Stewards

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 5 17:52:56 UTC 2012

Quoting Ben Reser (ben at reser.org):

> It's not likely to be in front of a judge if the license steward says that.

I certainly never turn up my nose if someone offers me promissory
estoppel, but I'm not sure a licence steward venting an amateur opinion[1]
about the copyrightability of his/her creation establishes estoppel.

Anyway, that's an affirmative defence:  It doesn't prevent litigation.

Also, I thought you were among those people interested in whether
software licence texts are copyright-eligible, in which case you're
digressing quite a bit.  (No objection:  This is the Internet after
all.)

But I'm starting to suspect why Larry hasn't chosen to comment. ;->

[1] Or even an expert one, as in Larry Rosen's case.