[License-discuss] License Stewards

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 5 06:27:39 UTC 2012

Quoting Kuno Woudt (kuno at frob.nl):

> Even if this is true, someone aiming to re-use the license text for
> a new license may not want to rely on it.

I have my doubts about licences lacking expressive elements as that
concept is defined in copyright law, FWIW.

> It seems better for the license steward to either explicitly state
> that they regard the license text as functional and not
> copyrightable or to just license the license text appropriately.

Er, the licence steward's opinion on that substantive legal question
(such as it is) strikes me as lacking relevance.  Either the licence as
a work is copyrightable in accordance with its own separate nature, or
it isn't.  The judge isn't going to ask the licence steward what he/she
thinks, but instead will analyse the work.