[License-discuss] License Stewards

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Oct 4 20:34:13 UTC 2012

Grahame Grieve suggested:
> in the absence of a license statement on a license itself,
> then the license can only be re-used under the terms of fair use....

Unfortunately, fair use only covers YOUR use of the license. If you then
publish that modified license and distribute it, you are in some sense
intentionally detracting from the market for the original license (as a
copyright court might analyze the fair use factors). On the other hand, if
copyright doesn't apply at all then your use and your licensees use of your
license need not even be "fair".

An appeals court analyzed a somewhat similar situation in Veeck v. Southern
Building Code Congress International, 293 F.3d 791 (5th Cir., 2002) (cert.
denied).
[http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/293/293.F3d.791.99-40632.html].
This is one of my favorite cases. It puts standards organizations on notice
that, at least in the Fifth Circuit, they can't own the law.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482