[License-discuss] Organizing the FAQ into categories.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Nov 28 20:01:02 UTC 2012

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> writes:
>I don't think I'd realized quite how much of this is OSI stuff- does
>it make sense to have separate OSI and licensing FAQs?

I think a unified FAQ still makes sense, for two reasons:

People seeking information in often don't have a clear sense of whether
their question is a licensing question or not -- they don't categorize
the world the same way we would (with all our experience in this field).

Also, the FAQ is still browseable, and someone who's there looking at
one question may learn something from looking around at other questions.

If we ever get to hundreds of questions and it really becomes
unmanageable (for the reader) to have it all in one page, then I think
splitting licensing-specific questions out into their own FAQ would be
the first division to look at.  I don't think we're there yet, though,
and am not sure we'll ever reach that stage.

Thoughts?

­K