[License-discuss] Boilerplate license text for permissive licenses?

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Tue Nov 27 10:50:58 UTC 2012

On 26/11/12 23:44, Luis Villa wrote:
> I wonder if there is an easy way to visualize the various changes you
> have in your data set, to see where people agreed/disagreed/edited,
> outside the obvious changes. Daniel German, cc'd, may have already
> tackled this, or have other ideas along these lines.

I don't have an automated way. I gave myself 10 minutes to do it by
hand, and the results are as follows:

<ORGANIZATION>:

* "the author"
* "the above-listed copyright holder(s)"
* "Yahoo! Inc.", followed by "nor the names of YUI's contributors"
* "the copyright holder"
* "Google"
* "the Eclipse Foundation, Inc."
* "the University"
* "Google Inc."
* "the Xiph.org Foundation nor Pinknoise Productions Ltd"
* "TransGaming Inc., Google Inc., 3DLabs Inc. Ltd.,"
* "the David Beazley or Dabeaz LLC" (!)
* "the Jython Developers"
* "KTH"
* "The Android Open Source Project"
* Rewording: "The names of the authors may not be used to endorse..."
* Rewording: "The names of the author may not be used to endorse..."
* "David Young"
* "the project"
* "Cisco Systems, Inc."
* "the libjpeg-turbo Project"
* "the Motorola, Inc." (!)
* "Adobe Systems, Network Resonance"
* "Parakey Inc"
* "Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple")"
* "the copyright holders"
* "Network Resonance, Inc."
* "the company"
* "Redis"
* "Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") or The Mozilla Foundation ("Mozilla")"
* "The NetBSD Foundation"
* "the psutil authors"
* "the Institute"
* "the Eclipse Foundation, Inc."
* "the Cisco Systems, Inc." (!)
* "the author(s)"
* the Xiph.org Foundation"
... and several more.

Disclaimer section:

Much less variation here, the first two being by far the most common:

* "THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS"
* "THE AUTHOR"
* "THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS"
* "Google Inc."
* "KTH AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS"
* "The Android Open Source Project"
* "THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS"
* "DAVID YOUNG"
* "THE PROJECT AND CONTRIBUTORS"
* "APPLE AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS"
* "SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC."
* "APPLE, MOZILLA AND THEIR CONTRIBUTORS"
* "THE NETBSD FOUNDATION, INC"
* "THE INSTITUTE AND CONTRIBUTORS"

As far as I can tell, other than the substitution of names on occasion,
the disclaimer is otherwise identical. And there is very little
variation in the other text too.

Bullets:

* None
* "1."
* "a)"
* "-"
* "*"
* In one case, 1), 2) and nothing!
* In another, 1), 2) and "-"!
* In another, nothing, nothing and "-"!
* In another, all the paras are run together

Numbers seem to be the most common.

Gerv