[License-discuss] combining GPL and proprietary software - was: CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Mar 2 20:04:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 02:29:28PM -0500, Tzeng, Nigel H. wrote:
> On 3/2/12 1:38 PM, "Chad Perrin" <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> >There seem to be three general approaches to failing to address the
> >important matter of how to deal with the needs of independent open source
> >software developers:
> >
> >1. "It's easy!  All you need is the ability to fall back on a lawyer's
> >help."
> >
> >2. "It's easy!  Just avoid everything."
>
> Ah, what was your third general approach?
>
> How about:
>
> 3. "It's easy! Just use Apache 2.0 licensed stuff!"
>
> Permissive.  Explicit patent grant.  Done. :)

Be careful about those requirements for things like per-file modification
notices and proliferation of NOTICE file attributions.  Of course, these
are relatively minor matters compared to many other licenses, and I agree
with your statement in principle; I just think the Apache License 2.0 is
far from ideal.