[License-discuss] due diligence - was: CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Mar 2 18:23:17 UTC 2012

It is indeed the case that the failures I see are in companies rather
than among charity developers. However, it's a stretch to state that
they already pay for lawyers! I sometimes get paid to read their
depositions and explain them to the judge. Invariably, the failure is by
an engineer or manager who interprets a license without proper use of
legal counsel.

Software engineers in companies have the daily task of combining
copyrighted property of multiple parties. They still graduate college
today without the capability of recognizing the issues or using counsel
to resolve them appropriately.