[License-discuss] Linking question

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Mar 2 18:05:42 UTC 2012

Larry,

I know of multiple parties who have settled by
Ceasing to manufacture the product
or
Releasing a new version of their binary software along with complete and
corresponding source code.

Some of these cases involved replacing binaries that were static linked
to LGPL software with binaries that were dynamic linked, to satisfy the
requirement that the two pieces be seperable so that the LGPL piece
could be modified by the end-user.

In all of the cases that I know of, the parties had available to them
the strategy of asserting that their work was not derivative, and
providing the GPL source only without reference to the proprietary
components of their products. Surely, many of them have read your book.
However, none of these parties chose to do so.

You may well be right. Nobody, however, has found it economical to
invest the resources to prove that in court.

     Thanks

     Bruce