[License-discuss] [License-review] CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Mar 2 03:42:04 UTC 2012

Rick Moen scripsit:

> Out in the real world, we have to deal with shades of grey and lack
> of perfect knowledge, which is why a wise person will not spend huge
> amounts of time pondering whether you can get away with particular
> types of deployments without having created an unauthorised derivative
> work, but rather will be cautious and let someone else land in court.

Which is as much to say, the wise person will use proprietary software
to the full extent he can afford it, because there is no issue of
copyright licensure, there is indemnity de facto or ex contractu from
patent lawsuits, etc. etc.  This leads to a vast amount of wheel-reinvention,
but overall that is cheaper than defending lawsuits.

--
Note that nobody these days would clamor for fundamental laws        John Cowan
of *the theory of kangaroos*, showing why pseudo-kangaroos are   cowan at ccil.org