[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jun 8 15:55:35 UTC 2012

It amazes me that after all these years GPL proponents are still
professing willful ignorance as to why some permissive developers see a
difference between the two practices.  Go figure.

Perhaps because a proprietary derivative doesn't impact the potential pool
of open source contributors but a GPL derivative does?

Perhaps it is human nature to be annoyed when some very vocal folks claim
to be more "free" and that you should respect the spirit of their license
but not actually reciprocate that "freedom" with permissive developers or
the same level of respect?  Respect like not once again implying that it's
some great mystery as to why some folks do see a difference between the
two scenarios.

Nah, that's only been stated umpteen times over the many years among
various other reasons.  At this point BSD regulars usually just roll their
eyes when the subject comes up again unless they are having a bad day and
a subsequent low tolerance for inane commentary.