[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 7 02:23:04 UTC 2012

Quoting Chris Travers (chris at metatrontech.com):

> That assumes the goal is to invalidate a license's grant of rights.

Shortly below what you quoted:

  There are of course other parties who might sue (other than a licensee),
  and other matters that might be asserted.

> Far more likely, I would think, would be arguments over the scope of
> the requirements of the license.

I can't think of requirements in any OSI Certified licence that could be
credibly argued to lie outside licensor's rights to require observance,
but would be interested if you can think of any.

Some _theoretical_ requirements might be outside licensor's rights of
enforcement, e.g., obvious examples like ones in violation of criminal
law.  The case of requirements impossible to carry out is perhaps a bit
more interesting; I'd be interested to see caselaw.