[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Jun 4 17:28:03 UTC 2012

Luis Villa asked:

Putting aside the specific basis for your objections for now, why are you
objecting now and not in the past five years this list has been in use? Is
there a particular change in the context that you think the new draft
language introduces, or...?

Luis, I have objected regularly and consistently to that particular list.
Look in the archives. I'm tired of OSI suggesting that it will take "another
five years" to simply get rid of it.  Replace it with something with meaning
and purpose. I've offered drafts of that improved categorization. Again,
look in the archives.

Or if you prefer not looking in the archives, charter a committee to address
the "recommended licenses" list and deal with the politics in public instead
of behind the OSI board's implied imprimatur. I will be pleased to address
Chuck Swiger's and other's comments about how to craft a valuable list in a
separate thread after OSI accepts the need to do so and stops propagating
licensing nonsense.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482