[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Jun 4 16:17:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
>    The following Open Source licenses are popular, widely used, or
> have strong communities:
>
>        Apache License, 2.0 (Apache-2.0)
>        BSD 3-Clause "New" or "Revised" license (BSD-3-Clause)
>        BSD 3-Clause "Simplified" or "FreeBSD" license (BSD-2-Clause)
>        GNU General Public License (GPL)
>        GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License (LGPL)
>        MIT license (MIT)
>        Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL-2.0)
>        Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL-1.0)
>        Eclipse Public License (EPL-1.0)

Because there appears to have been some confusion, judging from
private emails, let me be explicit that this is exactly the same list
currently described as "License [sic] that are popular and widely used
or with strong communities." No changes, editorial or otherwise, have
been made except to change the category name into a complete sentence.

Do NOT suggest changes to this list at this time. It is not perfect,
but it is long-settled, and will not be revised until many months
(more likely years) of work have been done.

Luis