[License-discuss] OSI approved license without original license and reproduction of notices required in redistributions?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 3 00:33:02 UTC 2012

Quoting Casey Rodarmor (casey at rodarmor.com):

> I would like to release my work without any restrictions whatsoever.

It appears that many people seek to do this.  Unfortunately, since the
nearly universal of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary
and Artistic Works (an international copyright treaty) over the course
of the 20th Century, copyright title and many of the complications that
go with it have automatically arisen at the time of creation of covered
works, and cannot be easily dispensed with.

> My ideal license would be Apache 2.0, but with the sub-clauses in the
> redistribution section removed. I could take those out of Apache 2.0
> and rename it, but I am not a lawyer, and would like to avoid creating
> a new license if an existing one will do.

Perhaps you should use Apache License v. 2.0 with an accomanying
statement that you as copyright owner waive all conditions cited in
section 4.  Something like:

  Copyright 2012 by Casey Rodarmor <casey at rodarmor.com>.

  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License")
  with the additional permission that licensor waives all requirements
  in section 4 of that license; you may not use this file except in
  compliance with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.

Note that you could not thereby speak for subsequent creators of
derivative works based on your work, so they would either choose to also
grant the same waiver concerning their copyrighted interest, or not.