[License-discuss] GPL and non-GPL binaries in one distribution

Mike Steglich mike.steglich at th-wildau.de
Fri Jan 13 13:54:08 UTC 2012

I really appreciate the comments and suggestions I got in this mailing list.

I understand that the issue depends on the definition of an derivative work. It seems if the combination of a GPL-licensed and an EPL-licensed software in a distribution is permitted if the combination is not a derivative work but a separate work.

Our GPLv3-licensed software is a mathematical programming language (CMPL) that generates a instance file of an linear program. After the generation of the instance file an EPL-licensed solver is executed directly using the command line interface.  If there is an optimal solution our software reads a ASCII file that contains the solution.

I interpret the licenses and your comments in the way that in this case there is no license violation if I bundle both binaries in one distribution.

Thanks

Mike