[License-discuss] GPL and non-GPL binaries in one distribution

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Jan 12 21:08:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:31:00PM +0200, Henrik Ingo wrote:

> On this topic there are many opinions out there and little case law,
> but personally I've always thought that if the FSF as the author of
> the GPL thinks something is permitted, then at least that much must be
> permitted and you can quite safely do that.

. . . until the author's policy/stance changes.  Then you might want to
seek legal aid or quit using the licensed work.

It's also important to take the (stated) intent of the work's author into
consideration, because that person could still conceivably choose to sue
you based on the letter of the license, rather than the FSF's stated
intent for the license.

Let the licensee beware.