[License-discuss] [License-review] CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Feb 27 22:12:41 UTC 2012

Bruce Perens wrote:

> The structure of laws, courts, and contracts is indeed a machine that
> executes statements of rules. That it does so /fuzzily/ and through
> human rather than machine elements is not necessarily a /flaw /of the
> system, in that it is invariably asked to handle unforseen problems, and
> extends itself by doing so.

Where I would see a particular advantage in a machine processable
language, would in handling ANDs, ORs and the scope of particular
conditions.  There was a recent example of UK secondary legislation that
made an AND/OR/negation type of mistake, in the wording of a statutory
notice that was supposed to summarise primary legislation. As a result,
it appeared to imply that certain sorts of debts to a landlord could
never be recovered.

--
David Woolley