[License-discuss] Logo for an (O)pen (S)ource (Li)cense (C)ompendium

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Wed Feb 22 20:29:41 UTC 2012

Karsten,

It might be even more useful for developers* to discuss a wider range of
licenses than falls under OSI approved licenses much like CC covers
licenses ranging from CC0 to CC-NC-ND.  Reference licenses, Academic
(non-commerical) licenses, etc all have business uses if your target is
large IT companies. That would, of course, require your own new logo as it
would be out of scope for the OSI.

Really, what you are suggesting is what OSI should be doing.  Perhaps you
can provide the resources required to generate a CC like plain English
and/or German explanation of the legal requirements (aka your todo list)
for the various OSI licenses under the OSI banner itself.  There no new
logo is required.

Large IT companies have legal departments that should understand IP issues
and will have to know the requirements for all the jurisdictions where
they have presence.  As much as possible anyway.

What jurisdictions were you thinking of covering in your compendium?

Will DTAG give OSI oversight and edit powers on the compendium?  A logo
that looks like the OSI logo implies that OSI approves of your
interpretations.  Especially if the OSI explicitly grants you permission
to use a similar logo.

What does "develop this compendium together with the community" really
mean in this context?  Why not first attempt do it under the auspices of
the OSI itself?  I would imagine the OSI would welcome this kind of help
and you might get more contributors.

A product carrying a logo similar looking to the OSI logo but isn't
actually from the OSI strikes me as sketchy.

I note that you are already using that logo on your oslic.org domain.  I
assume for testing but...why the little TM symbol already on your logo?

Your domain is also blocked by our websense filters as a potentially
damaging site.  You should have your webadmin look into that.

Regards,

Nigel

* Frankly, what is needed are CC licenses safe for software use.  Every so
often I bump into software licensed under CC anyway.