[License-discuss] Permissive but anti-patent license

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:07:30 UTC 2012

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc.  But I am under the
impression that in the USA there is precedent saying that incidental
copies that are necessary for use in a temporary medium (eg RAM) are
not considered fixed and are therefore allowed under copyright law.
If so, then any attempt in a copyright license to require acceptance
to make those copies will fail because your permission was not, in
fact, needed.