[License-discuss] Making the PHP FAQ generic

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Fri Dec 7 21:37:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Are restrictions on the *use* or *results* of proprietary compilers
> consistent with generating open source programs in that language? Can the
> copying of binary code into an executable by the compiler itself affect the
> license on that executable?
>
> I have heard people ask if running a GPL compiler that includes GPL
> libraries into a resulting program creates a GPL obligation for the
> resulting program. I hope not!

I'd prefer to keep that issue out of this FAQ entry, both because (1)
as far as I know, it is actually only an issue for gcc and (2) the
answer is really independent of whether or not this is done by the
compiler; i.e., the FSF's reasons for believing a gcc exception is
needed are the same reasons they think GPL is applicable to any
library, and Larry's reasons for believing no obligation is created by
the compiler scenario are the same as for other libraries.

Thanks for putting this together, Ben! I agree with all of Karl's
comments/suggestions.

Note that these pages are generated by Drupal, not static HTML, so the
patch isn't necessary (or rather, can't be applied). If you have a few
minutes to incorporate Karl's suggestions, just send plain text of the
next revision and one of us will put it into the HTML. Thanks!

Luis