[License-discuss] Can copyrights be abandoned to the public domain?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Aug 18 16:41:26 UTC 2012

Russ Nelson wrote:
> I hear a lot of whistling past the graveyard here. As people point out,
> it's never happened yet, and so it never will happen. Not a cause for
> concern; move along, nothing to see here.

Russ, among the things I worry about in FOSS, moral rights are among the
least worrisome. I'd almost welcome litigation about this issue so that we
can expunge "morality" from "software".

If you want to worry about copyright law, consider 17 USC 203. [1] Tell me
what you experience as you drive over that bridge....

/Larry

[1] http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/203

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482